Sunday, July 22, 2012

One Mom's accidental breakfast at BOXD in Carlsbad

Confession: It was really the almond pastries at the French Bakery Cafe, Carlsbad that were calling my name.  And as someone who is really trying to watch her carbs right now, I could only be convinced by my 14 year old son that I needed a cheat day.  So when he asked me to take him to breakfast on an early Sunday morning, off we went.  Much to our shock, the French Bakery Cafe doesn't keep very "bakery like" hours and our dreams of the buttery croissant, flakey crust and oozing almond goodness, were crushed.
I was determined to give this "cheat day" my all, so I suggested we try the new food cart/restaurant/truck (whatever!) BOXD in Carlsbad village on Carlsbad Blvd. and State Street.  It looked open and although I didn't know much about it, I knew it had to do with waffles and significant carb-age to go with it.
One thing these BOXD people got right....location, location, location!  What a cool spot in the heart of the village they snagged.  I can only imagine this place must be swimming with tourists in the midday lunch hour.
As a mom, I appreciate the moderate price tag and the fenced in picnic area; perfect for a family with little ones to run around in.  My son ordered a chocolate chip and whipped cream waffle. I tried as I might to be reasonable by ordering the sausage, egg and cheese waffle.
If I could make one suggestion to the new owners, cleanliness is next to godliness...LOL! Did I just say that?  Yes, just a few months in, and you can tell the tables are sticky with syrup and the crumbs are all over the cracks.  What kind of bug spray must you be using? Because if you ask me, Carlsbad is built on an ant farm, and I didn't see one ant.
Sausage, Egg and Cheese Omelette
The really cool think about BOXD is that you can see right thru the kitchen.  So I watched intently as my waffle was being baked.  I thought it was interesting to see a microwave like contraption that cooked my eggs and a blow torch being used to melt my cheese, but I'm still reserving judgment for my carb starved taste buds.  The waffle sandwich (of which I think my oldest brother invented when I was like 9 years old with 2 frozen eggos) was handed to us in a neat little one handed pocket. Upon great thought, Nate and I decided to split the savory and the sweet so we'd have a little of both.
Chocolate Chip and Whipped Cream
Admittedly, the waffle was tasty.  The cheese, not quite melted all the way (could of used a little more heat on the blow torch) tasted of a quality strong cheddar and the sausage was  a perfect mild breakfast like sausage, that Im sure my toddler would have devoured.  The hint of sweetness that was in the waffle kind of reminded you of a waffle and egg plate when the syrup accidentally gets on the corner of your egg bite.  Not offensive, just a touch of sweet to remind you that you're eating breakfast.
The chocolate chip and whipped cream waffle was as expected.  Sweet!  The chocolate seemed more like dark chocolate which feels more high quality to me.  I loved it, but was glad to only have half.  The only bummer for me in this oozing chocolate haven, was the glob of chocolate in the middle.  I'm more of a spreader myself, making sure that every inch of my toast, waffle or various carb is covered in no particular spread.  My husband is the globber.  He'd be happy here.
Free to Roam!
I honestly can't imagine coming here for anything other than breakfast.  I just don't do carbs very much and even when I do, it's more like a tortilla and a California Burrito than a waffle.  I'm a little concerned that as other places open up around BOXD, it may lose it's coolness factor.  But on the flip side, it was somewhat affordable, fast and fun.  I'll at least go back once or twice, if only so my preschooler can run around without having to be in a booth somewhere.
-Jen C. for binkysandbonbons

No comments:

Post a Comment